12 August 2013

MailStore Home - Tips and Tricks Part 3 … in the Cloud


Problem:


Actually there is no problem just considering the possibility and ways to move/sync my portable MailStore Home folder to the Cloud Drive


Resolution:


The idea is again related to symbolic links. That’s why if you missed previous article - MailStore Home - Tips and Tricks - Part 2 should be helpful to read it because there is nothing different only symlink path and target directory must be changed.


Sync MailStoreHome folder to SkyDrive and Dropbox


So I have SkyDrive folder located at D:\SkyDrive and I want to sync my mailstorehome folder located at F:\my_mailstore_portable to my SkyDrive account folder without moving it.


Create symlink by elevated cmd prompt:

C:\Windows\system32> mklink /j D:\SkyDrive\my_mailstore_portable f:\my_mailstore_portable

symbolic link created for D:\SkyDrive\my_mailstore_portable <<===>> f:\my_mailstore_portable

After link creation, you’ll see the \my_mailstore_portable folder inside of SkyDrive folder with a shortcut icon.
Thus you can use the application from either location and both will have the same contents since it’s actually one folder.
In this way, you can use your cloud MailStore Home from different locations where you have installed SkyDrive application. 
Symbolic link creation for Dropbox is the same.
Sync MailStoreHome folder to Google Drive

There is a little difference because it doesn't support syncing of symbolic link folders. How to do symlinks?

In order to do this, we first have to move the \my_mailstore_portable folder to the Google Drive folder. Then we create symlink to where we want (for example I want to create symlink/shortcut to F:\) that points to the  \my_mailstore_portable folder in the Google Drive 

Create symlink by elevated cmd prompt:

C:\Windows\system32> mklink /d F:\my_mailstore_portable "C:\Users\milen\Google Drive\my_mailstore_portable"

symbolic link created for F:\my_mailstore_portable <<===>>"C:\Users\milen\Google Drive\my_mailstore_portable"


That’s it! Use it with caution because some guys notice for problems with DropBox syncing and possibility of data lost. I use Google drive without any problems.


Please do not use MailStore Home for commercial purposes. This is illegal and violates the license agreement. If you need a solid email archiving solution suitable for all size businesses - MailStore Server offer much more valuable features, flexibility and ease of use for users and IT staff!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.